Monday, February 14, 2011

2/14/2011

Well, yesterday after I posted things began to change. The nurse informed me that I would be moving to a different floor so that they could monitor my heart. I had developed what is called refeeding syndrome which happens to some people when starting TPN. Basically it is that my body was really malnourished and when it started receiving the TPN it started pushing the electrolytes into the cells and out of the blood. It can be very dangerous and cause heart rhythm trouble so they wanted to be able to watch me for that. The electrolytes that were dangerously low were replaced through the IV and monitored through my labs.

After replacement,  my labs looked much better. Still on the low side but much better to normal. So they made some corrections to the TPN that started last night and are hoping my labs are still normal when they check them again in the morning.

They are hoping to be able to start cycling the TPN tonight. So that I just receive the TPN for 14hrs out of the day. It would run then from 6pm to 8am. If they are able to do that they are talking about sending me home shortly thereafter.

They did consult the GI doctors again to check on some things. I woke up last night at 4am with severe abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhea. They had been wanting a CT scan but it had not been done yet, so I was asking about it today and GI was just in here and did an extensive history from when this sickness started. They are going to discuss it with the whole GI team and see what conclusions they can come up with and see what tests they want run. So I figure if they are wanting some more tests run I still may be in here a couple days yet.

I find it kind of comical though. Sometimes a nurse or aid will come hurrying into the room and just say "I need to get your blood pressure." They take the blood pressure and then they leave. That has happen only a handful of times, but I found out they are doing that because of what they are seeing on the heart monitor. My primary doctors told me that I had an episode of VTACH last night. The other times I found out my heart rate would go into the 140's.

Will try and post an update once the doctor are back in and have discussed and thought of a plan,

No comments: