Saturday, August 27, 2011

Botox!!!

Well, I had my first injection of Botox!!! It better take away all the wrinkles and leave me looking and feeling good :)  Ok, so I did have a Botox injection, but probably not in the way you are thinking.

Thursday night we left for Temple again and stayed at a hotel again. We actually got to stay in the same room we had last week. I had to be at Temple for 9:30 in the morning and with traffic being crazy we decided to just head down on Thursday and stay. I'm glad we did because traffic was super bad because of the beaches being evacuated.

We actually didn't make too bad of time getting to Temple on Friday morning. We were a little early, but that was better than being late. They informed me at registration that I would need to give a urine sample before they would do the procedure to make sure I wasn't pregnant. I had to laugh because I don't go that frequently and I had just gotten up and went already. They ended up having to give me a bolus of fluid and wait a little while before I was able to give them a couple of drops.

While they were taking my history and asking all kinds of questions, the fellow asked if I had a gastric emptying test before that had shown delayed gastric emptying. I wasn't sure how to answer her because I've had four of them. One showed I did, the next was normal, then I got sick during the next one, and then I just had one the previous week which I didn't know the results too. So she left, and I thought that was the end of the conversation but about 5-10 minutes later she came back. So confirmed that the gastric emptying test I had the previous week showed that I did have delayed gastric emptying. (That is all I found out from the testing I had the previous week, and she didn't go into detail.) 

So since that test showed it they were going to go ahead and do the EGD with Botox. Everything went well with the procedure, I can't go into detail about it because I was out. What they do though, is a regular EGD and then they inject Botox all around the pyloric valve. The Botox paralyzes the valve so that it stays open and the goal is that it will help the stomach empty. 

Now it is a waiting game to see if it will work or not. They did inform me that it may not work, but they have to give it try before they do anything else. It can take 3 days - 2 weeks for me to start noticing if it's going to work. I'm hoping it does. 

I do have a follow up appointment in October with the actual doctor which I haven't seen since my original appointment in March. It's supposed to be a one month follow up, but October was the quickest they could get me in then. They did say I could call a certain person and she would probably be able to get me in sooner.

I'm heading back into work tonight, but thought I would give you all a little update.

Taking it one day at a time!!!

No comments: